Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Links I've been reading on betrayal

http://dynamic.uoregon.edu/~jjf/defineBT.html
"What is a Betrayal Trauma? What is Betrayal Trauma Theory?" by Jennifer J. Freyd, University of Oregon

One part of this article that made an impression on me was about children turning a blind eye to betrayal by caregivers, how it's a survival mechanism. It reminds me how I would turn a blind eye to the physical, emotional, and sexual abuse I experienced in the house of a caregiver when I was a child - the fear I had when the sitter would grab my face and threaten me, telling me to never tell my parents about what happened.

As I research to learn more about the abuse and betrayal I experienced with John, it leads me to explore other forms of abuse and betrayal in my life.


http://www.experiencefestival.com/betrayal_-_psychology_of_betrayal


http://www.calldrmatt.com/Facts&Truth.htm
"When a clear distinction is made between facts and Truth, we realize that words can be factual yet untrue at the same time; a person's words may be technically correct but when inward intent is not true . . . then only fact-speaking can occur—as opposed to Truth-telling. The distinguishing element is this: When the motive behind the message is false, then superficially accurate words are false from their foundations—this is the very meaning of empty rhetoric: words expressed without wholeness of heart."

John told me so many things to build me up and make me feel attached to him, but they turned out to be empty rhetoric.


http://members.shaw.ca/bethhedva/rev_edition.htm
This is a book that looks promising.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/learning-play/201001/betrayal
An article from Psychology Today


http://books.google.com/books?id=IlYHQuxuWMsC&pg=PA475&lpg=PA475&dq=psychology+of+betrayal&source=bl&ots=RVThOGiHE3&sig=Y5bRWYAtJxmAqRLDihd6wfzd1r8&hl=en&ei=mgd7S9XLF8uXtgfa3eGdCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CA8Q6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=psychology%20of%20betrayal&f=false
Handbook of Personality Psychology by Robert Hogan, John A. Johnson, Stephen R. Briggs


http://psychology.utk.edu/people/jones.html
Someone who could help?


http://www.blacksunjournal.com/psychology/18_betrayal-part-1-of-3-by-james-hillman_2001.html
Long article on betrayal by philosopher James Hillman from an atheist website


http://www.iifac.org/bonfire/pdf/183_en.pdf
First in a series of articles on betrayal, revenge, and forgiveness

http://www.iifac.org/bonfire/pdf/186_en.pdf
Second in the series

http://www.thoughts.com/blog/browse/keywordSearch/betrayal
Other people's blogs about betrayal

http://retiredeagle.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/trust-and-betrayal-relationships-with-self-and-other/
A blog post

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/relationships-sex-article/betrayal-is-the-willful-slaughte/376429
One of the most personable articles on betrayal that I've read so far

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/family-and-relationships/why-he-fears-sexual-betrayal-and-she-tears-over-emotional-infidelity/article1448219/
"Both cases prop up long-standing, cross-cultural research into jealousy that suggests women view emotional infidelity as a much more serious breach of trust than sexual trysts. Research has also shown the reverse is true for men, who often get more jealous about a partner’s sexual infidelity than emotional betrayal."

http://www.abusivelove.com/2006/06/betrayal-in-abusive-marriage-and-other.html
A blog post about betrayal

http://www.abusivelove.com/
An interesting title for a website. I'll have to check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment